For every salaried individual whose company contributes to the Employee Provident Fund (EPF), it is essential to activate the Universal Account Number or UAN online. This will help them in accessing their PF account services like balance checks, withdrawals and more, from anywhere and at any time without any hassle. Wondering how you can activate your UAN online? This article covers everything you need to know about UAN activation, the documents required for the same, how to check the UAN number, why is UAN important and how it benefits the employees, and more. So, read on.
How to activate UAN online
In order to avail the online services on the EPFO portal, you first need to register or activate your UAN. Here’s a step-by-step guide for UAN activation through the EPFO portal. Before you start the process, make sure you have your UAN number and PF member ID handy.
- Go to the “Services” option on the dashboard and from the drop-down menu, select “For Employees“.
- Click on “Member UAN/Online Service (OCS/OTCP)” in the Services section to reach the UAN member portal.
- On the page that opens, navigate to the Important Links section on the right and tap on the “Activate UAN” option.
- Fill the required fields including your UAN, PF Member ID, Aadhaar number, name, date of birth, mobile number and captcha code. Now, click on the “Get Authorization Pin” button to receive an OTP on your registered mobile number.
- On the screen that appears, click on “I Agree” box, enter the OTP received on your Aadhaar-linked mobile number and finally, hit “Validate OTP and Activate UAN“.
Your UAN activation process is complete. You’ll receive a password on your mobile number using which you can log in to the UAN member portal and access your EPF account.
Note: You are allowed to change the password received on your mobile number on the UAN member portal. In case you’ve forgotten the password, you can reset it too, but you’ll need the UAN number for the same.
Documents required for UAN activation
If this your first job with a registered company, you need to provide some documents to the employer to get your Universal Account Number. It must be noted though that this is a one-time process. Once generated, your UAN remains the same throughout your employment.
Here’s a list of the documents that you need to provide for the UAN activation process:
- Bank account details: Bank account number, IFSC code and branch name.
- ID proof: Driving license, passport, voter ID, Aadhaar card or SSLC book.
- Address proof: A recent utility bill in your name, rental/lease agreement, ration card, or any other ID proof with your current address.
- PAN Card
- Aadhaar Card
How to know UAN number?
There are two ways for you to know your UAN number: through your employer and through the official website of the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO). Here’s how:
The UAN number is usually allotted to you by your first employer and thereafter, it remains unchanged for the duration of your future employment. So, you can easily check with your employer for your UAN and PF details. You may also find your UAN on your salary slips.
Through EPFO portal
Follow the below steps to find out your UAN number through the EPFO member portal:
- Open the EPFO member portal, go to Services > For Employees and click on Member UAN/Online Service (OCS/OTCP) to reach the UAN portal.
- Under the Important Links, click on “Know your UAN”.
- Enter your registered mobile number and captcha code. Now, hit the “Request OTP” button.
- Now, type in the OTP received on your mobile number, enter the captcha code again and click on “Validate OTP”.
- On the new page that opens, enter your name, DOB, Aadhaar/PAN/Member ID, and captcha code. Finally, click on the “Show My UAN” button to know your UAN number.
What is UAN and why is it needed?
UAN, or Universal Account Number, is a 12-digit unique identification number issued by the Ministry of Labour and Employment, Government of India and appointed by the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation for every employee who is contributing to the EPF. The UAN of an employee remains the same throughout their service period, irrespective of the number of jobs they change. Each member ID (or EPF account number) allotted to them in different services is linked to the same UAN. Below are various features and benefits of UAN:
- It helps in centralising the data of all employees across the country.
- It eases the employee verification process for employers and companies.
- It allows EPFO to keep track of multiple job switches of a working individual.
How UAN benefits employees
Employees, in particular, can get access to a host of online services using their UAN, such as:
- Keep a check on all their EPF accounts
- View and download the EPF passbook
- Claim partial or full PF withdrawal
- Transfer the PF balance from the old account to new
- Track EPFO claim status
- Update KYC details and other basic details
In addition, UAN makes it easier for employees to monitor that their contribution to the EPF is regularly deposited by their employer. It also ensures that employers cannot access or withhold their PF funds under any circumstances. Being independent of employers, UAN is a secure way for employees to track their EPF accounts all in one place, in their comfort.
How is UAN generated?
UAN is generated for an employee by his first employer, who has a total workforce of 20 or more. The employer will ask the employee for a few documents at the time of joining (Refer to the header “Documents required for UAN activation”), register him as a member on the EPF Employer portal and approve all details to generate a new UAN for linking to his PF account. The UAN will be made available to the employers on the Online Transfer Claim Portal.
Can you activate UAN offline?
No. UAN registration and activation service are only available online on the EPFO portal. For Android phone and iPhone users, UAN activation facility is available on the Umang app.
Can contractual employees register their UAN to avail online facilities?
Yes. It is mandatory for an organisation with 20 or more employees to generate UAN for its employees (with an annual remuneration of Rs 15,000 and above) – whether it be full-time or contractual. Employees on contract can avail online facilities upon UAN activation.
Is it mandatory to link my Aadhaar with UAN?
Yes. You cannot transfer PF funds online or even claim a withdrawal if you haven’t linked your UAN with your Aadhaar. Even your employer won’t be able to deposit your monthly PF contribution to your account. You can link your Aadhaar with UAN both online and offline.
Do I need to activate UAN after switching jobs?
UAN needs to be activated only once. There is no need to re-activate it when changing jobs.
Can I have two UANs?
No. An employee can have only one UAN that remains unchanged during the course of their employment and is transferable to all eligible employers. In the case where two UANs have been allotted to you, you need to report the issue to your current employer or drop in an e-mail to email@example.com. Post verification, your older UAN will be blocked. You will then have to submit a request to transfer your funds to your latest active UAN number.
Can I change my personal details linked with UAN?
Yes, the UAN portal offers you the facility to change your personal details linked with UAN. However, please note that the changes will be made only if they match the details linked with your Aadhar card. So, any requisite changes need to be made to Aadhaar first.
Is there any fee for UAN registration and activation?
No, there is absolutely no fee involved in the UAN registration and activation process.