SBI debit card (as a matter of fact, any debit card) is your gateway to savings or current account. You can use it to withdraw money, pay vendors online, and more, without actually visiting the bank. However, these services are deactivated by default to prevent their misuse. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has mandated that the debit card activation, including that of SBI, should be done by the customer itself. There are a bunch of ways to activate and generate a PIN for an SBI debit card. This can be done online through internet banking, or via SMS, call, and ATM. If you are looking for methods to do so, below is an easy step-by-step guide on how to activate your SBI debit card:
SBI debit card activation: must have
For new SBI debit card activation, you need to have the following things done first:
- Your mobile number should be linked to your bank account. Without this, OTP authentication will not be possible. To check whether your mobile number is linked to the SBI bank account, send SMS ‘REG Account Number’ to 09223766666. If the number is registered, you will get a confirmation message. If not, visit a nearby SBI branch to update your mobile number
- You must be registered for the internet banking services like OnlineSBI to activate online.
- You should know the location of your nearest SBI ATM, as some alternate methods will require you to visit an SBI ATM.
How to activate and generate PIN for SBI debit card online
You can activate your new SBI debit card online through the OnlineSBI portal.
- Visit the OnlineSBI web portal and log in to personal banking using your internet banking user ID and password.
- Select e-services and navigate to ATM card services, where you will find the option for ATM PIN generation. Click on it.
- You will be asked to log in using your profile password or OTP for authentication.
- Select the account number to which your debit card is linked.
- Select the SBI debit card for which you want to generate a new PIN. You can also change the existing PIN.
- Enter the first two digits of the PIN as per your choice. Once you do that, the last two digits of the PIN will be sent to the registered mobile number.
- Now verify the PIN by entering all four digits. Confirm the change.
- You have now set a new PIN for your debit card, and now the card is ready for use.
How to activate SBI debit card and generate PIN through toll-free number
You can also generate your SBI debit card PIN by calling the customer care helpline number, which is toll-free.
- First, call SBI customer care at 1800112211 or 18004253800.
- Follow the instructions given and choose the ‘ATM and Prepaid Card Services‘ option.
- Tap/Press ‘1‘ to generate the SBI card PIN.
- You will be asked to enter your debit card number, enter the same, and confirm.
- You will have to enter your account number linked to the debit card, and press confirm.
- Once you confirm all the details you will receive an SMS with an OTP, which will be valid for 2 days.
- Visit any State Bank ATM and select the option PIN Change.
- Enter the current OTP.
- Enter your new PIN and confirm.
How to activate and generate PIN for SBI debit card via SMS
You can also generate the SBI card PIN by sending a message from your registered mobile number.
- SMS ‘PIN 5678 ABCD‘ to 567676.
- Here, 5678 represents the last four digits of your debit card number and ABCD represents the last four digits of your bank account number linked to the debit card. Once the SMS is sent, you will receive an OTP number on your mobile.
- The OTP will be valid for 2 days and you can use it to generate a debit card PIN by visiting any of the SBI ATMs.
- Upon visiting an SBI ATM, select the option PIN change, and enter the current OTP. After that, enter your new PIN and confirm. That’s it!
How to activate SBI debit card through ATM machine
Since both of the steps above require you to visit an ATM anyways, you can skip both of these steps and directly visit an SBI ATM.
- Insert your debit card at any SBI ATM
- Select ‘PIN Generation’
- Enter your 11-digit account number and confirm
- Now enter your 10-digit mobile number that is registered with the bank and confirm
- You will receive an OTP
- Now you can again insert the card and select the ‘PIN Change’ option
- Enter the OTP to authenticate and set a new PIN as per your choice
- That’s it! Now you can use your debit card to make purchases at your local store.
Why can’t I use my SBI debit card for online purchases after activation?
This is because as of October 2020, the Reserve Bank of India has mandated that all banks will have to ship new debit cards with e-commerce transactions disabled to prevent fraud and misuse of cards. You can easily activate it by sending an SMS. Here is the format:
SMS “SWON ECOM 1234” to 09223966666 (1234 are the last four digits of your card).
Can my debit card be used for international transactions?
It depends on the card you have chosen. As of this writing, only SBI Global International card, SBI Platinum International card, SBI Gold International card, and sbiINTOUCH debit cards can be used for international transactions.